The colder months are here, the heat is turned up and the air is harsh, this can be a recipe for disaster for an already sensitive skin.
If you’re someone whose skin gets irritated in the winter, you’re not alone. The lack of humidity in the air dries us out, exasperating certain skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and just overall sensitivity.
But I’m here to tell you it doesn’t have to be this way! With a few tweaks to your skincare routine, as well as adding certain foods and nutrients to your diet, we can keep that sensitivity under control, if not eliminate it all together!
First let’s talk about what causes sensitivity. The majority of sensitivity stems from impaired barrier function. Our skin has a layer on the surface called the “barrier” or the acid mantle. This layer is what protects our skin from the elements. When the acid mantle is compromised, our skin loses its natural defense, and is more susceptible to dryness, dehydration, and sensitivity.
Some signs that your skins barrier might be compromised:
- Flaky skin
- Overly reactive skin (stings or burns)
- General redness
- Tight feeling skin
Now that you understand the cause of sensitivity, here are a few skincare products, as well as ingredients, to look for to improve the appearance of your skin, to soothe sensitivity, and to keep your skin healthy through the winter.
Let’s start with products. These three products should be in your everyday skincare regime:
1. Oil: When your skin is dry, it is lacking oil. Oil will not only provide lubrication to your skin to reduce that tight feeling, it also creates a protective layer to prevent trans epidermal water loss (TEWL).
2. Serum: It’s easy to confuse dehydration and dryness, but the two often come hand in hand. If your skin is dehydrated oil will only do so much. Using a water based serum will provide a punch of active ingredients to treat sensitivity, and add that extra dose of water the skin is looking for. A toner can also be a great option, like Blissoma Botanicals Serene Sacrad Waters Toner
3. Cleanser: Cleansing is the first step in the skincare routine and one of the most important not only for sensitive skin, but for all skin types as it sets the tone for the rest of the regime. Cleansers can be stripping, and when your dealing with sensitive skin and a compromised barrier that is the last thing you want. Avoid cleansers that foam or suds, and stay away from artificial fragrance. The cleanser should be soap free, and pH balanced. Avoid over cleansing as this can dry the skin out more and contribute to sensitivity.
4. Facial Masks: This should be a weekly staple. Face mask are jam packed with nutrients for the skin. It’s is one of the best ways to help repair the barrier and deliver skin healing ingredients through the epidermal layers. It’s also a great way to practice some self care, make it a ritual. Pour your favorite cup of tea, light a candle, listen to some music, whatever makes you feel good while your doing your mask.
Now that we know which products to use, even more important is what ingredients to look for in these products:
- Reishi, or Ganoderma lucidum, is mushroom know for its calming effects on the skin. Rich in beta-glucans, which have the ability to modulate the skins immune system, as well as deeply hydrating the skin and reducing the signs of aging. It reduces inflammation, increases antioxidants in the skin, and makes sensitive skin more resilient. Try the Beta-Glucan mask from Blissoma
- Sunflower Seed oil – this mostly non allergenic oil is the perfect oil for those with reactive skins. This mild oil is jam packed with the skin healing vitamin E in the form on alpha-tocopherol which has an anti inflammatory affect in humans. Not to mention it’s also high in antioxidants and carotenoids for age defying properties. Try the Herbal cleanser from Blissoma
- CBD – this powerhouse ingredient has so many benefits to the body as well as the skin, But it’s ability to combat inflammation in the skin is unmatched. CBD has anti microbial properties as well as anti inflammatory properties making it suitable for acne skin as well. It soothes the skin and reduces irritation, and is rich in antioxidants which protects the skin against oxidative stress. Try the 3 Part Beauty System from Moon mother hemp CBD oil
- Bluetansy – this essential oil, as well as other blue essential oils like blue chamomile, contains a compound called Azulene. Azulene is calming, anti inflammatory, antibacterial, and helps Aid in skin cell regeneration. Blue Tansy is also a natural relaxant, calming the nervous system with its aroma. It also has anti-allergenic properties which means it can help reduce skin reactions to allergens it comes in contact with. Blue Serenity balm
- Marshmallow root – the antiinflammatory powers of marshmallow root make it a perfect ingredient for sensitive, Irritated skins. Its one of the best herbs for dry, itchy skin as it deeply moisturizes the skin. Try the Pure sensitive complex Blissoma
Getting regular facial treatments, as well as using the correct skincare products at home, can help repair the skins barrier, hydrate, nourish, and sooth sensitive skin. Our Canna-Calm facial is specifically designed for sensitive skin in mind, using the above ingredients combined with techniques to heal the skin from the inside out. Click here to book your appointment!
Besides topical skincare, it’s important to care for you body as a whole to combat sensitive skin. Eating a balanced diet, drinking lots of fluids, moving your body regularly and trying to reduce stress will all benefit the skin.
To try one of the products discussed above, feel free to contact me to order!